GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

ACER Q15

ACER Q15

Postby khaldrogo » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I am reviewing the ACER Red Booklet's questions that I got wrong. Q15 talks about using the term 'propaganda' in J Raban's account of his visit to NYC. Why is C the correct answer?

Thank you very much,
Josh
khaldrogo

Re: ACER Q15

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:51 am

Answering this question requires close reading and looking for contextual clues in the paragraph where the term 'propaganda' was used. Note that the last sentence of the paragraph gives away the purpose of the 'propaganda' (rules) that the author enumerated - it is to safely navigate what he considers to be 'enemy territory'.

Despite treating the New York streets as enemy territory, nothing specific in the passage indicates chaos, so option A cannot be the answer.

The fact that the 'rules' were restrictive denotes a contrast to civil freedom. Nothing about such an issue is also discussed in the passage. This makes option B wrong.

Between C and D, the main point of the paragraph is to 'stay safe' which allies more with the purpose of avoiding encroachment rather than gaining dominance. This makes C the more plausible answer.

I hope this helps!
jeanne_gsgamsat

Return to General Questions