The Only Prep You Need

Section 1 Tone

Section 1 Tone

Postby Zohal99 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:04 am

Hi Team!

My GAMSAT S1 and S2 is on Sunday and I wanted to seek some advice on tips regarding identifying tone in passages; particularly literary prose.

I am an avid reader, but I struggle a lot with interpreting tone in a passage. I often misinterpret the tone and get the answer wrong. Are there any tips on how to identify/distinguish tone?

I know it's a short timeframe, so I'm not expecting any miracles or anything. :lol:

Cheers,
Zohal
Zohal99

Re: Section 1 Tone

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Tue May 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Hi!

Tone can be determined in written texts mainly by the writer's choice of words. For example, in an excerpt from a novel, one of the characters might describe the night as 'dry and lifeless'. This suggests either a bored or melancholic tone. On the other hand, another character might remark that the night is 'quiet and soothing'. This would suggest a relaxing mood or tone.

Another clue might be the description of the passage at the start of the unit. For example: "This passage is from a fictional work that tells about a disgruntled worker during the Depression Era." From this line alone, you would have a general idea that the tone of the passage, or at least of the main character, is that of anger.

Here's a link that you might find helpful: https://sites.austincc.edu/tsiprep/read ... hors-tone/

Good luck with your studies!
jeanne_gsgamsat

Return to General Questions