GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

Section 2 general query

Section 2 general query

Postby sabryhassa3517 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi,

I was wondering whether we have to include a title for section 2. For task A, it's usually an essay, does that need to have a title?

For Task B: We need titles for stories but we wouldn't need them for letters as an example.

Also it okay if you thought you knew what a quote meant but ends up being something different:

'One can possess a different function and still be equal in essence and worth.' -- I interpreted this as a general theme for equality because other quotes provided were centred around equality. I used this quote to justify that a stronger society needs different people from multiple disciplinarians i.e. "different functions". I later searched it up and it was talking about "Women are equal to men in essence and in being; there is no ontological distinction".

Hope this makes sense!
Thank you
sabryhassa3517

Re: Section 2 general query

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi there,

ACER doesn't require you to put a title to your response, although if you happen to come up with something unique or witty (for example, 'The Indivisible Divide'), that can certainly catch the graders' interest.

Of course, two important elements in a Section 2 response are as follows:

1. A clear viewpoint on the given theme
- For instance, the quotes in Writing Task A might collectively ask, "Is the right to free speech beneficial to society or not?" or if it's a Writing Task B theme, for example: "Is monetary wealth essential in attaining a person's happiness or not?" Whether you agree that it is or not should be very clear and central in your essay.

2. An organised flow of ideas
- This means that regardless of your essay's format (e.g., argumentative essay, personal narrative, etc.), each paragraph functions to validate your central point.
- The introductory paragraph makes a clear connection between the given theme and your perspective on it.
- Each paragraph starts with a clear topic sentence representing the main idea of that paragraph, followed by relevant supporting examples.
- The idea in each paragraph flows smoothly to the next, through the use of appropriate transitional devices.
- It is clear and logical how you came to the concluding ideas in the last paragraph - no irrelevant leaps and certainly no introduction of an idea that was never mentioned in the body paragraphs.

Also it okay if you thought you knew what a quote meant but ends up being something different:

Please note that in recent sittings, the quotes- referred to as 'comments' - are no longer attributed. Most likely, ACER is trying to make it fair to candidates who may not have any background knowledge of the original context of certain quotes or of the author.

'One can possess a different function and still be equal in essence and worth.' -- I interpreted this as a general theme for equality because other quotes provided were centred around equality. I used this quote to justify that a stronger society needs different people from multiple disciplinarians i.e. "different functions".

What you did in your response is correct. Your main focus should be to determine the overarching theme that connects all the comments: Are they all talking about a common topic like democracy or love? Which quotes have positive views towards it, and which ones say negative things about it and why?

Hope this helps!
jeanne_gsgamsat

Postby sabryhassa3517 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:05 am

Thank you for your reply Jeanne!

I've noticed that writing a letter is something I might be good at, so can we 'break the rules' and write a creative piece for both sections because I've notices that for both tasks A and B, the criteria says "Your writing will be judged on the quality of your response to the theme, how well you organise and present your point of view and how effectively you express yourself".

Thanks
sabryhassa3517

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:56 am

Yes, you are correct. ACER does not prescribe a specific format for responding to each writing task. However, in their Information Booklet, they are quite clear that the themes are socio-cultural for Task A and personal-social for Task B. Therefore, make sure that you are addressing the socio-cultural aspect of the given quotes in your letter format in Task A and the personal and social issues in Task B.
jeanne_gsgamsat

Return to General Questions