The Only Prep You Need

HEAPS 4, S3 - Q23

HEAPS 4, S3 - Q23

Postby skogias6733 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:47 am

Hi,

I find genetics a little difficult and I thought we need to do the FOIL method for 2 trait dihybrid crosses? and then do the 4x4 punnet square. Why dont we in this case? is it coz there are 2 identical butterflies crossed (two purple bilobed) ? Just wondering in which case i can apply this method given in the answers (2x2 punnet square) as its much simpler and quicker.

Thanks
skogias6733

Re: HEAPS 4, S3 - Q23

Postby goldstanda3269 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm

skogias6733 wrote:Hi,

I find genetics a little difficult and I thought we need to do the FOIL method for 2 trait dihybrid crosses? and then do the 4x4 punnet square. Why dont we in this case? is it coz there are 2 identical butterflies crossed (two purple bilobed) ? Just wondering in which case i can apply this method given in the answers (2x2 punnet square) as its much simpler and quicker.

Thanks

As you may know, we completed the worked solutions to all of ACER's 440 Section 3 MCQs which include at least 5 units and each unit has multiple genetics questions: All use Punnett squares (either for dihybrid or monohybrid crosses as described in detail in the Masters Series Genetics chapter). Even in recent GAMSAT sittings, students describe using Punnett squares to efficiently solve genetics problems.

There are many other methods that can be used to get to the right answer. We only teach and explore the most efficient (which is often the most popular) way to solve GAMSAT-level problems.
goldstanda3269

Return to Section III: Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences