GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

Q55

Q55

Postby blaqer6969 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:51 pm

In regard to Q55:
I'm confused as to why the answer is D (he has been injured), as opposed to C (he had lost his mind). Particularly because of the sentence in the text, 'he didn't die, and the bits seemed to grow together again'.
This sentence in particular would indicate - to me - that the 'bits' refer to a mental injury as opposed to a physical injury. As a physical injury could not 'grow together again'.
I understand why the answer could be D, but struggle to see why C is not the better option.
If anyone could add more clarity, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Brenden
blaqer6969

Re: Q55

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am

Hi, there!

Assuming that Clifford may have lost his mind is one reading interpretation - and reasonable enough based on what you said. However, in answering GAMSAT questions, you have to 'limit' your thinking within the obvious information presented in the passage. Here, the passage describes his physical condition 'with the lower half of his body, from the hips down, paralysed forever' (line 13) and 'crippled forever' (line 18). Nothing in the passage discusses his state of mind.

This is something that you can keep in mind when sitting the real exam - stick with what you can only find in the passage; stay away from possible or personal interpretations and outside knowledge. :)

Good luck with your studies!
jeanne_gsgamsat

Return to Section I: Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences