The Only Prep You Need

HEAPS 1, Section 1, Unit 5

HEAPS 1, Section 1, Unit 5

Postby maynard.cl4448 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:41 pm

Q20
The worked solution to this question makes the assumption that F(12) will marry. In previous worked solutions, examinees are advised that 'GAMSAT will only present questions that ask candidates to base their answers on the evidence given in the passage'. Given that there is no evidence in the passage or question that that F(12) is married or will marry I cannot see how that is a safe assumption to make.
maynard.cl4448

Re: HEAPS 1, Section 1, Unit 5

Postby goldstanda3269 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:45 pm

maynard.cl4448 wrote:Q20
The worked solution to this question makes the assumption that F(12) will marry. In previous worked solutions, examinees are advised that 'GAMSAT will only present questions that ask candidates to base their answers on the evidence given in the passage'. Given that there is no evidence in the passage or question that that F(12) is married or will marry I cannot see how that is a safe assumption to make.

Good point.

Answer choice D remains the best answer because A, B, and C clearly contradict the rules. However, answer choice D would have been better if the word "will" changed to "may" and then it becomes unambiguous that you must consider: What if she is not married AND what if she is married?

Side note: During the real exam, there will be a tiny number of questions like this where ACER will analyze statistically (based on which students got the question right/wrong) whether to withdraw the question from your overall score because of lack of clarity. Of course, we will update the word "will" in next year's edition, but in the meantime, give yourself a gold star and keep up the good, contemplative work.
goldstanda3269

Return to Section I: Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences