GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

Q 58 and 60

Q 58 and 60

Postby sabryhassa3517 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi there,

It seems that for Q 58, the difference between the quotes are based on the person who says them for example quote 2 is Winston Churchill (involved in politics) so therefore it was a political view. Is this something that we should expect in the gamsat. Like when I first looked at the Q, I was trying to distinguish between them based on the idea which I found pretty hard. But looking at the people who said the quotes allowed me to kinda differentiate between them.

For Q60, can you please explain a bit further why its C, I don't see any of the answers being a parallel/reverse terminology because they all seem different i.e. not that related.

Hope this makes sense!
Thank you
sabryhassa3517

Re: Q 58 and 60

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:49 am

It seems that for Q 58, the difference between the quotes are based on the person who says them for example quote 2 is Winston Churchill (involved in politics) so therefore it was a political view.

In the real exam, this type of passage or unit will not likely include the names of the speakers. Your main focus should then be on the idea that's being asked in the question. For this particular question, you are being asked to consider the similarity in the context of the comments in each option.

The most logical strategy that you can adopt here is to limit your focus on the pairs of comments provided in the answer choices and employ the process of elimination in order to arrive at the best option.

Pair I: The first comment indicates that change is endless while the second comment implies that change is something that you can control.
Obviously, each of these two comments talks about "change" in a different light.

Pair II: The first comment embraces change in all things and perceives this as positive. The second comment also views change as a positive thing but in the context of transformation (improving, perfecting).

Pair III: The first comment suggests that in order to change, you need to rid your mind of preconceptions. The second comment talks about "change" in the socio-political context.

At this point, you must realise that since the first 3 pairs do not share any similarity in context, the fourth pair must contain the correct combination. So:

Pair IV: Both comments speak of change as dependent on one's perception or point of view.

Is this something that we should expect in the gamsat.

Yes, you might be given a set of commentaries, statements or short paragraphs that convey different views on a common subject. However, as mentioned, these are likely NOT going to be attributed.

In terms of question type, yes, this is quite common in Section 1. You will be asked to find similarities and differences in ideas or purpose or context, etc. of given texts.

Step 1: Make sure you keep in mind what the question is asking. If it is asking for a similarity, then keep your focus on that. If it is asking for a contradiction, then keep your focus on that.

Step 2: If the question specifies that you consider the meaning, then focus on that as you go through each answer choice. If it requires considering the context, then limit your understanding to the context and so on.

For Q60, it is asking that you consider the similarities in form (use of words, syntax, style or technique) rather than how the ideas relate from one comment to another. This is not a very common question type in the real GAMSAT. However, we thought of including this to sharpen the candidate's eye for details and focus. Note how each of the comments in option C tries to rearrange identical words in the same sentence. Other options do not exhibit this style.
jeanne_gsgamsat

Return to Section I: Reasoning in Humanities and Social Sciences