GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

GAMSAT Preparation Advice - Non-Science Background Students

GAMSAT Preparation Advice - Non-Science Background Students

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 am

Here is a 33-minute video of Dr. Ferdinand discussing the 70/30 formula plus other important strategies to help non-science background GAMSAT candidates keep a successful GAMSAT preparation:
http://www.gamsat-prep.com/non-science-background-gamsat-preparation
jeanne_gsgamsat

Re: GAMSAT Preparation Advice - Non-Science Background Stude

Postby Cl63 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi Dr. Ferdinand,

Thanks for your advice video for non-Science Background Candidates. It was very helpful.
I was wondering, as a non-science background candidate who wants 50% in S3, based on the 70/30 formula, should I spend approx 20% of my time gaining 50% of the science knowledge in order to get 50%? If I spend 20% of my initial 33% review time solely on S3, does that leave 13% review time for S1 and S2 combined(7.5% of my time per section)? Thus I'll be spend approx. 50% of my time reviewing for S3 and the other 50% reviewing for S1 and S2?

Do these projections make sense and are they realistic? I'm trying to be strategic and plan well before starting study.

Thanks,

Cl63 :D
Cl63

Postby goldstanda3269 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:24 am

"Thus I'll be spend approx. 50% of my time reviewing for S3 and the other 50% reviewing for S1 and S2? "
- That is unlikely to be a recipe for success. First, you should try to confirm your non-science skills by trying a timed Section 1 test (from ACER) and consider using ACER's Essay Correction Service to confirm your essay-writing skills. If that goes well, 90% of your time will be dedicated to Section 3. Even if you only require a 50 in Section 3 to get into medical school, that should not be the aim. If you aim higher, it is safer. And if you can objectively confirm your skills in the other sections (and maintain or upgrade them in the 10% of the time), then an increased effort in science should be pursued to minimize the chance of re-sitting the exam.
goldstanda3269

Postby Cl63 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks very much for the reply and the advice.

If I'm sitting the exam in September, taking the 1/3 formula in consideration, should I aim to finish my review by the end of June, the Practice Problems by the end of July and the Full Lengths Tests by the end of August?

Best,

Cl63.
Cl63

Postby Cl63 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:21 pm

P.S. regarding spending 90% of my time on Section 3 preparation, given that Section 1 & 2 are up to scratch, does that 90% refer to entire prep time(approx 3 months) or does it refer to initial review time only?

Best,

Cl63.
Cl63

Postby goldstanda3269 » Sat May 23, 2015 3:45 am

"If I'm sitting the exam in September, taking the 1/3 formula in consideration, should I aim to finish my review by the end of June, the Practice Problems by the end of July and the Full Lengths Tests by the end of August?"

- Practice questions need to be done hand-in-hand with content review. It's the only way to be sure you understand the material AND that you are not focusing on irrelevant details. So it might be better to say that you would ideally complete your review with Practice Problems by the end of July. This way, you complete a chapter and you also complete the relevant practice for that chapter before moving onwards. If you can stick to that schedule and then complete full-length tests by the end of August, that would be very productive.

"P.S. regarding spending 90% of my time on Section 3 preparation, given that Section 1 & 2 are up to scratch, does that 90% refer to entire prep time(approx 3 months) or does it refer to initial review time only?"
- Entire prep time. When it comes to Section 1-2 practice and the Section 1-2 component of full-length tests, it will occupy very little of your overall study time.
goldstanda3269

Return to Non-Science Background Candidates