GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

General quetion about inner ear's function

General quetion about inner ear's function

Postby fsdeefs » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:44 pm

It is confusing me that in Chapter 6's review questions asking "Which of the following structures of the ear is responsible for maintaining a sense of equilibrium?" and the answer is "The semicircular canals" but not "The Vestibulo-cochlear Apparatus"

If the answers is right, can someone plz tell me how the vestibular system as a whole plays differently from the semicircular canals' function in equilbrium, since I found articles online saying differently on this issue and The Gold Standard textbook has not mentioned about their function in equilibrium specifically. THANK YOU :!:
fsdeefs

Re: General quetion about inner ear's function

Postby goldstanda3269 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:54 am

fsdeefs wrote:It is confusing me that in Chapter 6's review questions asking "Which of the following structures of the ear is responsible for maintaining a sense of equilibrium?" and the answer is "The semicircular canals" but not "The Vestibulo-cochlear Apparatus"

If the answers is right, can someone plz tell me how the vestibular system as a whole plays differently from the semicircular canals' function in equilbrium, since I found articles online saying differently on this issue and The Gold Standard textbook has not mentioned about their function in equilibrium specifically. THANK YOU :!:

"Vestibulo-cochlear Apparatus" is a misnomer. There is a Vestibulocochlear Nerve and a Vestibular System/Apparatus that work together with the cochlea. The semicircular canals is the level at which balance occurs, it is the most specific expression in reply to the question.

Such a question would never be on the GAMSAT. If you need to know any anatomy (except blood circulation which is important to be familiar with), ACER will give you the necessary information.

As you may know, in the past months we labelled all of the Physics and General Chemistry questions as either Foundational or GAMSAT level so that you won't waste energy on a question that is not vital. We have not been able to do that for Biology yet.

I would suggest focussing on Biology Chapter 0 (graph analysis), Chapter 7 The Circulatory System, Chapter 15 Genetics. Also given the time of the year, great effort should be focused on completing the 5 ACER booklets and as many HEAPS exams as you have time for. Good luck!
goldstanda3269

Return to GAMSAT Biology