The Only Prep You Need

Chapter 1: Generalized Eukaryotic Cell

Chapter 1: Generalized Eukaryotic Cell

Postby admin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:38 am

Be the first to discuss this chapter!
admin

Re: Chapter 1: Generalized Eukaryotic Cell

Postby JordanS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:13 pm

For question 4), I was discouraged from answer Because of the grammar!

For question 6), I see now clearly how B and C are saying the same thing and so logically they can't be correct, however, that aside - doesn't 'arresting the cells when sister chromatids are paired' basically just result in answer C (and therefore B also) because that is a crucial step in chromosome production/replication.

For question, 15) I confused 'villi' with microvilli and therefore thought that they were present in the cell. (Although by elimination I can know see that all the other answers are clearly present in cell structure).
JordanS

Postby JordanS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:14 pm

*Answer B *because! :/
JordanS

Postby goldstanda3269 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm

"For question 4), I was discouraged from answer Because of the grammar! "
- There was a typo which has now been corrected.

"For question 6), I see now clearly how B and C are saying the same thing and so logically they can't be correct, however, that aside - doesn't 'arresting the cells when sister chromatids are paired' basically just result in answer C (and therefore B also) because that is a crucial step in chromosome production/replication. "
- The question stem is asking for a mechanism, not for a result. "The passage suggests that colchicine might act by:" means that we must choose the method by which it stops DNA synthesis/replication. The method is suggested in the passage "Colchicine ... inhibits normal mitosis by ... inhibiting chromatid segregation." So we are looking for an answer choice which is consistent with "inhibiting chromatid segregation".
goldstanda3269

Postby zhangtaodeng » Thu May 27, 2021 1:11 pm

As for question 15, the answer it gave was A, while according to its explanation, the true answer should be B since the work solution states that "a minimum of 70% and a maximum of 100%".
zhangtaodeng

Postby goldstanda3269 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:34 pm

zhangtaodeng wrote:As for question 15, the answer it gave was A, while according to its explanation, the true answer should be B since the work solution states that "a minimum of 70% and a maximum of 100%".

As stated in the worked solution, the correct answer is indeed B. This has been updated.

Keep up the good work!

The next free webinar: https://www.gamsat-prep.com/GAMSAT-free-online-seminar/
goldstanda3269

Postby ohwaseng8484 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:10 am

Hi, will need assistance on the concepts of question 7. If the bag was hypotonic, doesn't that mean that the conc of solute is higher/ water pressure of the bag is lower? In that case, shouldn't water flow into the bag (and therefore answer be B instead)?
ohwaseng8484

Postby goldstanda3269 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:09 am

ohwaseng8484 wrote:Hi, will need assistance on the concepts of question 7. If the bag was hypotonic, doesn't that mean that the conc of solute is higher/ water pressure of the bag is lower? In that case, shouldn't water flow into the bag (and therefore answer be B instead)?

It is the opposite.
- hyper means more than (like a "hyper" child has excessive energy)
- hypo means less than, so hypotonic means that the concentration of the solute is less than what it is being compared to; so water flows out of the bag to the region of higher solute concentration.

Discussed in BIO 1.1.1.
goldstanda3269

Return to Masters Series GAMSAT Section 3 Biology