Chapter 6: Nervous and Endocrine Systems

Postby admin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:30 am

Be the first to discuss this chapter!
admin

Postby MGO » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:28 am

Hi,
it isn't clear to me how the pancreas is stimulated/regulated to secrete glucagon and insulin.
I have a similar question for the stimulation of renin and erythropoietin by the kidney.
It is through chemical receptors of blood stream or is it regulated by the nervous system?
Many thanks,
MGO

Re: Chapter 6: Nervous and Endocrine Systems

Postby goldstanda3269 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:56 am

Basically, the concentration of agonists (i.e. glucose, hormones, etc.) stimulate receptors of cells (for example, cells that may be part of the target organs) which activate intracellular processes (for example, second messenger systems like cAMP) which in turn may: 1) affect metabolic processes that are interpreted as the effect of the agonist or 2) affect other processes that affect what is happening in the nucleus - DNA - which will eventually affect metabolic processes. The latter usually occurs with steroid hormones since they can cross the plasma membrane without the need for membrane second messenger systems.

- new GS book BIO 6.3

NB: if your query is regarding a specific question, please always include the question number with your query. Thanks for understanding.
goldstanda3269

Postby MGO » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Thank you
MGO

Postby goldstanda3269 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:05 am

ilbe wrote:Queries with regards to Q13-14

The only info of TRHs in the given paragraph is that ' Once normal blood levels of thyroid hormones have been reached, THs inhibit the release of thyroid releasing hormones (TRHs)'

How do you reasoning like this case which is not given any info?
Relying on stack knowledge?
or any nomenclature rules for hormones to solve this kind of problems such as R-'Release' is used for hormones released from hypothalamus (e.g. T'R'H) and 'Stimulus' is used for hormones released from pituitary (T'S'H).. (this is my imagination)

Please let me know your strategies..

Thanks a lot

Hormones are covered in BIO 6.3 and videos on The Endocrine System.

ACER does not ask questions seeing if you memorized the names of all the hormones. If you are given a specific hormone-related question, you will be given the information necessary to reason the answer.
goldstanda3269

Postby goldstanda3269 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:06 am

ilbe wrote:Queries with regards to 'code' in question explanations.

What is the meaning of P1,P2,P3,S1,S2,S3 etc..?
Any meaning of these? as I can see these in some question explanations .

For instance,
Explanation:
"P3"

This question requires that you know the functions of the cranial nerves. The most important one to be familiar with, the vagus nerve, innervates smooth muscles of internal organs (i.e. the bladder).

P = paragrapha
S = sentence

so P2 means that the relevant information is in paragraph 2, and S3 means that it is in the 3rd sentence.
goldstanda3269

Return to Masters Series GAMSAT Section 3 Biology