Chapter 8: The Immune System

Chapter 8: The Immune System

Postby admin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 am

Be the first to discuss this chapter!
admin

Re: Chapter 8: The Immune System

Postby ive.rouart3286 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:07 am

Hi,
I have a problem with what you are saying for the immune response.
In the videos, you said that antibodies attack and kill the bacteria, well I can understand this part by adding the effect of antibodies and the complement system. But you say that T cells engulf antigens. But this is false... T cytotoxic cells only recognise (APC) and kill infected cells... but they never attack the antigen itself..
The innate immune cells like macrophage engulf and kill antigen, bacteria etc..

Should I remember that Tcells and innate cells kill pathogens for the exam.?
ive.rouart3286

Postby goldstanda3269 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:25 pm

ive.rouart3286 wrote:Hi,
I have a problem with what you are saying for the immune response.
In the videos, you said that antibodies attack and kill the bacteria, well I can understand this part by adding the effect of antibodies and the complement system. But you say that T cells engulf antigens. But this is false... T cytotoxic cells only recognise (APC) and kill infected cells... but they never attack the antigen itself..
The innate immune cells like macrophage engulf and kill antigen, bacteria etc..

Should I remember that Tcells and innate cells kill pathogens for the exam.?

The video is a summary of a summary of the immune system, which is more than enough for the GAMSAT. It is only meant to make the language of immunity more palatable since real GAMSAT questions will focus on tables, graphs and diagrams.

Just FYI: Einstein and most physicists believe that the gravitational force is not the attraction between 2 masses but rather a push related to the curvature of spacetime. This was not explored in the videos because it is not related to GAMSAT assumed knowledge.

The following discussion is strictly academic and will not be assumed knowledge for any real GAMSAT exam.

"you said that antibodies attack and kill the bacteria"
- I believe that I said that that would rarely occur, and rather, the antibodies would more often opsonise invading cells to be attacked by a wide range of WBC's.

"But you say that T cells engulf antigens. But this is false... T cytotoxic cells only recognise (APC) and kill infected cells... but they never attack the antigen itself..
The innate immune cells like macrophage engulf and kill antigen, bacteria etc."
- What you are saying is more accurate than my wording. Even here however, human delta gamma T cells are indeed capable of phagocytosis, and so "T cell biology spans definitions of both innate and adaptive immune responses". http://www.jidonline.org/article/S0022- ... 2/fulltext
- To be clear, the wording in the video would have been better to say that T cells engage in a specific (adaptive) immune response but are also capable of a non-specific (innate) response.

"But you say that T cells engulf antigens."
- To clarify, a subdivision of T cells can engulf and phagocytize invading cells bearing antigens.

"Should I remember that Tcells and innate cells kill pathogens for the exam.?"
- Although the implied question is true, it would not help you get 1 mark on 10 real GAMSAT exams. ACER will never have a question dependent on such specific Biology knowledge. Even the "summary of the summary" in the video is more detail than ACER requires. The best guide to GAMSAT Biology practice questions would be to the experience of completing ACER's 4 booklets, followed by GS-Free and, if there is time, the GS full-length practice tests.

I am always open to criticism in the wording of any teaching that I do. I commend your enthusiasm.
goldstanda3269

Postby ive.rouart3286 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Thank you very much for your answer ! :)

I was just concerned about what type of question they could ask. I'll do more practice test !
ive.rouart3286

Return to Masters Series GAMSAT Section 3 Biology