The Only Prep You Need

Chapter 11: The Musculoskeletal System

Chapter 11: The Musculoskeletal System

Postby admin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:16 am

Be the first to discuss this chapter!
admin

Re: Chapter 11: The Musculoskeletal System

Postby Lavi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:22 pm

hello, so the sympathetic nervous system increases blood flow-i.e. supplying more oxygenated blood, whereas the parasympathetic redirects blood to the viscera? but in redirecting blood, isn't that a form of increasing blood flow? or is it just that the sympathetic nervous system supplies more blood to the major organs such as the heart and lungs, whereas the parasympathetic nervous system increases blood supply to the visceral organs?

Thank you
Lavi

Postby Lavi » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Also what is the shivering reflex? In what we need to understand it mentions this but I can't find this in the textbook?
Lavi

Postby goldstanda3269 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:35 am

Lavi wrote:hello, so the sympathetic nervous system increases blood flow-i.e. supplying more oxygenated blood, whereas the parasympathetic redirects blood to the viscera? but in redirecting blood, isn't that a form of increasing blood flow? or is it just that the sympathetic nervous system supplies more blood to the major organs such as the heart and lungs, whereas the parasympathetic nervous system increases blood supply to the visceral organs?

This is more or less correct: "the sympathetic nervous system supplies more blood to the major organs such as the heart and lungs, whereas the parasympathetic nervous system increases blood supply to the visceral organs". To understand the reasoning behind blood flow so you can have a more accurate overview (which is all that is needed for GAMSAT: a basic overview without the need for the details), it is best to review a previous section: BIO 6.1.4.

Lavi wrote:Also what is the shivering reflex? In what we need to understand it mentions this but I can't find this in the textbook?

The 'shivering reflex' just refers to shivering which is described in BIO 13.1 (this cross-reference should have been mentioned).

Just FYI: http://www.gamsat-prep.com/news.php?newsid=9
goldstanda3269

Postby dosani.rk7379 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi, could I please get some help with Question 4 from the Chapter 11 Practice Questions

I understand how to get to (42x10^-2)/(3.6x10^-9) which is m/sec, but I am not sure how to proceed. I am a tad confused looking at the answer explanations past this point (specifically, the last 8 lines in the answers)
dosani.rk7379

Postby goldstanda3269 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:54 pm

dosani.rk7379 wrote:Hi, could I please get some help with Question 4 from the Chapter 11 Practice Questions

I understand how to get to (42x10^-2)/(3.6x10^-9) which is m/sec, but I am not sure how to proceed. I am a tad confused looking at the answer explanations past this point (specifically, the last 8 lines in the answers)

Perhaps it will be better to see it in a video with all of the steps, Day 3: Physical Sciences Problem-based Learning (Section 3) , go to the link below:

https://www.members.gamsat-prep.com/vid ... .php?day=3

scroll down to the following video: Day 3, Chapter 5: GAMSAT Physics PBL Q22-32

The worked solution begins at the time code 05:27. If it starts too slowly for you, you can increase the speed of the video.

If it is still not clear, ask anything in your next post here, or you can ask during tomorrow's Physics tutorial (coincidence!).
goldstanda3269

Return to Masters Series GAMSAT Section 3 Biology