GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

Chapter 2: Electronic Structure and the Periodic Table

Re: Chapter 2: Electronic Structure and the Periodic Table

Postby Monique » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi,

I'm sitting the GAMSAT in Australia. Will the periodic table be provided? If not, what exactly do I need to memorise?!

Thanks

monique
Monique

Postby goldstanda3269 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:15 am

Monique wrote:I'm sitting the GAMSAT in Australia. Will the periodic table be provided? If not, what exactly do I need to memorise?!

Up to Sept 2016, ACER has never provided a periodic table for any GAMSAT exam in any country. Knowing basic information about the 20 first elements on the periodic table and the general trends of the periodic table will have you ready for 90% of related questions. If you are going for 100%, then you don't need to memorise the rest because by completing GS and ACER's practice questions, you will be completely covered.

Of course, ACER will never ask a direct question requiring memorisation, however, if you do not know the basics about the periodic table as mentioned above, then there is not usually a way to get around it. Of course you can find 2 GS videos about the periodic table in our Videos section that cover most of the pertinent information, our GS GAMSAT book covers 100% of the information, and most importantly - as mentioned above - GS and ACER practice questions will make clear the reasoning required based on your understanding of the periodic table. If you complete all practice questions, you won't spend much time with rote information, because you will be continually using the key information in context.

btw, our next free monthly webinar will be in a couple of weeks from now: https://www.gamsat-prep.com/GAMSAT-free-online-seminar Good luck with your studies.
goldstanda3269

Postby sam123 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 am

can someone explain the answer to question 5 please.
sam123

Previous

Return to Masters Series GAMSAT Section 3 General Chemistry