GAMSAT Forum - Gold Standard GAMSAT Prep

The Only Prep You Need

How to for Study Section I

Do not post your questions regarding any GS exam here. Please post in the appropriate threads below.

How to for Study Section I

Postby interwebme » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi,

I understand that reading of current affairs and literacy texts is the mainstay of studying for this section. I am currently reviewing an exam and I am wondering about how to approach this.

I'm currently reading through to make sure I understand what I missed before and then writing down any key words that I don't understand.

Cheers,
Paul
interwebme

Re: How to for Study Section I

Postby jeanne_gsgamsat » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:54 am

You are on the right track in getting yourself exposed to a wide selection of reading genres. It also helps to keep building your vocabulary for Section 1, especially if you are coming from a science background. Panopticon, epistemology (this term is mostly related to the writings of Foucault) and epistolary are just some of the words that you would want to be familiar about.

The most essential thing is to have some general background of the different concepts in the humanities and social sciences. (You don't really need to dissect the nitty-gritty details of the different philosophies.)This way, you will have less of a struggle between comprehending and speed reading during your actual test.
jeanne_gsgamsat

Return to Discuss your strategies and experience with Section I