The Only Prep You Need

Strategy to use in tackling Section I

Do not post your questions regarding any GS exam here. Please post in the appropriate threads below.

Strategy to use in tackling Section I

Postby GOFORMED » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,

English is not my first language and therefore I always find myself struggling in verbal reasoning section. Having had a month length of continuously reading and practicing Section I questions, I realise I have migrated into a stage in which the vocabulary is not a major crisis for me anymore. Instead, what I find the most challenging is not being able to comprehend the passage and trace sentences that support my choice for the question, in a limited time. It could have been a little easier if it is in my native language because I can comprehend the passage after only reading it once, whereas I often misread or am unable to pick up the central idea by reading it once. I don't know how other people whose English is first language feel about this.

The material I am using to practice verbal reasoning is MCAT 101 Passages by Exam Krackers. I feel that the passages in MCAT verbal reasoning is a lot harder to digest, nonetheless I am wary of poems in GAMSAT as well. Now you probably can tell how frustrated I am feeling toward verbal reasoning.

Just recently I start to believe that having a personalised strategy is about everything we need to achieve a high score in Section I. I've trialed two distinct strategies.

Number one, I read the first paragraph to quickly grasp the theme of the passage. Most of the time I didn't finish reading the first paragraph and went straight to reading question stems after grasping the theme. I then highlighted what to pay attention for in the passage. For instance, a question stem asked to assess line 3-4 and extrapolate from it. Then, after finishing reading the question stems, I moved on to reading the whole passage. And often I needed to refer back to the passage when I was doing questions. Overall, I think it was a good strategy because it made me focus on answering the questions specifically. However, the downsides of this strategy were: firstly, I run out of time with this strategy; secondly, because I forced myself to find the answer specifically, I often missed the big picture of the passage and how the sentences at different spots relate to one another. Hence, I often found myself got some operational questions incorrect.

Number two strategy I used was, I read the entire passage before moving on to the questions. I did not refer back to the passage and merely relied on my short memory. As a result, I got one question correct out of five or six, which is much worse than the score I obtained if I used the number one strategy.

In addition, I can manage to get all the questions correct if I make notes while reading through the passage and digest it properly. However, I don't have that leisure of time in a timed situation. It took me twice of thrice of the time allowed for each passage.

This is just my two cents. I would like to know how other people tackle this section, what strategy they use, and how they find it.

Thank you very much.
GOFORMED

Return to Discuss your strategies and experience with Section I